The Academy of Canadian Cinema and Television has just announced that they’ll be consolidating their two awards shows – the Genies and the Geminis – into one big gala event in March 2013. Sounds like the industries will be getting the red carpet treatment!
What does this mean? Well, the Gemini Awards normally scheduled for September won’t take place in 2012; they’ll be handing out the next round of Geminis next March instead. The Academy also pointed out that none of the award categories will change. There will still be 24 awards for Canadian film, and 94 for Canadian digital and television. And they’ll all still be judged in the same way they were before.
What will change are some of the eligibility dates will change, so if you have something in the running, be sure to check out the Academy’s webpage and read the FAQs. Here’s some highlights:
- If you’ve already submitted for the 2012 Geminis, your entry will remain in competition for the March 2013 awards.
- The eligibility period for TV and digital media entries will be extended – new deadlines will be posted on the Academy website soon.
- The eligibility period for film entries will continue to be the calendar year – and new deadlines will soon be posted on the Academy website.
Check out the ACCT website for all the details.
Latest posts by Pam Fossen (see all)
- The Year in Movies: 7 films I finally got around to in 2012 – December 19, 2012
- Today on the Scene: screenings and film fun for Friday, November 30, 2012 – November 30, 2012
- Today on the Scene: screenings and film fun for Thursday, November 29, 2012 – November 29, 2012