Hey, remember this? Just over a month ago, pUNK Films and the Royal Cinema announced the $1000 Feature Film Challenge, asking for submissions from Toronto based filmmakers. The response was excellent, with an impressive 34 submissions received. Looks like there’s a ton of talent right here in our own backyard.
Financed through box office proceeds from June screenings of i am a good person/i am a bad person at The Royal, this awesome micro-finance film incubation project from filmmaker Ingrid Veninger and The Royal’s Stacey Donen, also included a Master Class with indie filmmaker Amos Poe for all those who submitted a film. The five lucky winners will receive funding for production, and have access to donated services of the wider industry – story editors, lawyers, musicians and cinematographers – to make their films a reality.
The contest’s aim was to finance feature films, and as of the end of June they’ve green lit five for production. They’ll film in July, do post in August, and be ready for screening in late September. The winning entries are:
- Hotel Congress - Director Nadia Liz; Writers Nadia Litz, Philip Riccio, Michel Kandinsky; Producers Nadia Litz, Philip Ricio, Michel Kandinsky; Starring Nadia Litz and Philip Riccio.
- Methadonia – Director John L’Ecuyer; Writer John L’Ecuyer; Producer Paul Lenart; Starring John L’Ecuyer, Ryan Ward, Sherry White.
- Me, the bees and cancer – Directors John Board, Hector Centeno; Writer John Board; Producer John Board; Consulting Producer Morley Markson; Starring John Board.
- Mourning Glory – Directors Brett Butler, Jason Butler; Writer Brett Butler; Producer Jason Butler; Starring Robert Nolan.
- Simon – Directors Ben Roberts, Rick Roberts, Sam Peters; Writers Ben Roberts, Rick Roberts; Producers Ben Roberts, Rick Roberts ; Starring Ben Roberts, Rick Roberts.
Can’t wait to see the fruits of their efforts. You’ll get your chance to see all the films at The Royal at the end of this September, so keep an eye out for announcements.
Photo credit: Francis-Anne Solomon.
Latest posts by Pam Fossen (see all)
- The Year in Movies: 7 films I finally got around to in 2012 – December 19, 2012
- Today on the Scene: screenings and film fun for Friday, November 30, 2012 – November 30, 2012
- Today on the Scene: screenings and film fun for Thursday, November 29, 2012 – November 29, 2012