Say yes to burlesque and fall in love with cabaret! This Friday, July 20, 2012 boasts a big night out at The Bloor. As part of the fifth annual Toronto Burlesque Festival, Bloor Hot Docs Cinema plays host to the world premiere of The Burlesque Assassins (2012). Directed by Jonathan Joffe, the film follows a trio of deadly burlesque spies, preying on the lust of their targets in this 1950s espionage thriller. The event also features a live cabaret performance and, following the screening, there will be a Q&A with Joffe as well as stars Armitage Shanks and Roxi Dlite. Tickets and information can be found at the Bloor Hot Docs Cinema website.
The Toronto Burlesque Festival aims to celebrate achievement and talent in the burlesque arts, and has, since it’s inauguration, put Toronto on the map globally for this previously marginalized art form. This fifth season runs from July 19-22, 2012. For more festival details, check out their website.
More from Toronto Film Scene
- Movies with staying power: a look at what makes a classic porn
- He Said Boom: talking Fifth Column, feminism and film with Kevin Hegge
- TIFF Free Screen presents Fractured Movement / Constituent Parts
Latest posts by Meaghan MacInnis (see all)
- Romance or Die: how chick flicks fail their public – March 12, 2013
- Meet the TFS Writers: Meaghan MacInnis – March 6, 2013
- Cinema Revisited: kids’ movies we used to love…as kids – January 23, 2013