The people have spoken; democracy prevails again. The Christie Pits Film Festival, a three-part series presenting coming-of-age classics under the title When We Were Young, screens Rebel Without A Cause to close out the festival on Sunday, August 12, 2012, based on the results of a vote by fans. Previous films in the series this summer have been Big, starring Tom Hanks, and Cinema Paradiso, an Italian film about cinema. Rebel Without a Cause beat out An Education and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial in the fan vote.
Featuring James Dean in his iconic, red-leather-jacketed role, 1955′s Rebel Without a Cause is the story of a teenager in a new town who just doesn’t much care for rules or the status-quo. The film was released only weeks after James Dean died in a tragic car crash.
The Christie Pits Film Festival, co-presented by Open Roof Film Festival and the Revue Cinema, shows the final film of its When We Were Young series on August 12, 2012. Rebel Without a Cause will screen at the park 15 minutes after sunset. Admission is free, but donations are encouraged. Snacks can be purchased at the park, but bring your own blankets. More information can be found in our listings at the Christie Pits Film Festival Facebook page.
More from Toronto Film Scene
- Losing the plot: pornography and storytelling
- Sex and politics up north: Jack Stevenson’s Scandinavian Blue, a look at the erotic cinema of Sweden and Denmark
- Hey, I have feelings too! A series of unrelated reactions to hate for The Dark Knight Rises
Jordan Moffatt is a person living in Toronto. He is an improviser, actor, writer and graduate of the University of Ottawa. His favourite Indiana Jones film is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. He was the third string point guard of his high school basketball team.
Latest posts by Jordan Moffatt (see all)
- Detropia begins its run at the Bloor October 5, 2012 – October 4, 2012
- CINSSU’s Free Friday Films presents The 400 Blows October 5, 2012 – October 2, 2012
- Doc Soup returns Wednesday, October 3, 2012 with THE SOURCE – October 1, 2012